CBD and CBN, both cannabinoids, are present in the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids are chemical compounds that have the ability to affect receptors in our endocannabinoid system. All living things with vertebrae have an endocannabinoid system, which affects many body functions such as sleep, mood, hunger, etc. You may be familiar with both cannabinoids, CBD and CBN. Both cannabinoids affect the endocannabinoid system differently.
The most popular, CBD, has gained much popularity in the health field. You can find CBD-infused products in supermarkets and grocery stores. CBD is the main ingredient of several skincare and food products such as supplements, oils, shampoos, topical creams, and even chocolates. CBN, on the other hand, is not as popular as CBD. Research hasn’t caught up with this cannabinoid, so there are few studies on its benefits and potential uses. Now that the CBD market has been saturated, manufacturers are also trying to incorporate new cannabinoids into their products. Similarly, researchers are also trying to explore the potential benefit of other cannabinoids. Finally, CBN is beginning to gain popularity for its potential ability to manage sleep issues and chronic pain.
Benefits of CBD
CBD gained its popularity due to its non-psychoactive properties. It doesn’t make its users head-high like THC. THC is known for its head–high properties. According to some researchers, CBD has remarkable potential health benefits and an excellent safety profile. CBD is available in different forms, such as oils, tinctures, gummies, softgels, topicals, etc. Now, you can find even more products infused with CBD.
- CBD is greatly helpful in boosting energy and alleviating the mood. Many people use it to overcome stress.
- Sleep issues are very common nowadays; so many people like to use CBD oil before going to sleep to aid them with restful night’s sleep. According to this case series, CBD helped a lot of people to over come to their tension and sleep issues. That’s why many people take CBD oil to calm their nerves and for better sleep.
- Chronic pains affect the quality of life. According to this study, CBD helps in reducing the pain due to chronic diseases. One more study supports its effectiveness in decreasing pain after a surgery.
Side Effects of CBD
Usually, CBD is well tolerated and safe to use in humans. Side effects that are rare, temporary, and mostly associated with overuse of the product. Excessive amounts of CBD may cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and dry mouth.
Benefits of CBN
Cannabinol or CBN comes from the breakdown of the psychoactive compound THC. Many people think it may also produce psychoactive effects like THC. CBN is mildly psychoactive, but it generally doesn’t produce a head-high like THC. At this time, there’s extremely little research examining its potential benefits. CBN products are commonly marketed as sleep aids, but much more research needs to be done to back these claims.
Here are some of the common uses and potential benefits of CBN:
- CBN can help you to fall asleep peacefully. So can find various over-the-counter products with CBN, and these products are advertised as sleep aids. There is only limited research that supports CBN as a sedative.
- You know about the pain-relieving properties of CBD, but CBN also has pain-relieving properties. According to a study, CBN and CBD both work in synergy and are more effective in reducing pain either alone. Researchers should focus on the CBN and its individual effects on the endocannabinoid system.
- According to some research, CBN may reduce the pain and swelling caused by arthritis. However, human trials and clinical research are needed to fully understand its potential benefits.
There has been a lot of research on CBD, and now growers can grow CBD-rich strains to get the maximum yield of CBD. It is hard to adjust the amount of CBN from the plant because it comes to form the breakdown of THC. When THC is exposed to heat and sunlight, it breaks down to CBN. You can speed up the oxidation process by exposing the plant to heat and sunlight. This is the reason it’s hard to get the CBN in maximum quantity. Agriculture researchers should also focus on increasing the yield of CBN.
The Legal Status of CBD and CBN
According to federal law, CBD and its all products derived from hemp and have less than 0.3 percent THC are legal. On the other hand, still, CBN and its products are legal if their source is hemp and THC content is less than 0.3 percent. The source of CBN is THC, but it is not on the scheduled substance list. Furthermore, CBD or CBN from any other source than hemp is illegal. However, laws vary from state to state, so must go through the state’s law regarding CBD and CBN.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why Are CBN Products Expensive as Compared to CBD Products?
There are many CBD-rich strains, so getting CBD is easy. CBN comes from the oxidation of THC, so it is not extensively available for research or use in different products. Still, it is impossible to produce CBN-rich strains like CBD or CBG strains.
Q. CBD or CBN, Which Is Better?
You can use both cannabinoids because both originate differently. CBD does much more research than CBN. You can get CBD easily for research purposes and clinical trials, but CBN is not readily available. Researchers and manufacturers of hemp products should focus on clinical and human studies instead of animal studies to know the true potential of these cannabinoids.
CBD and CBN, both cannabinoids, have potential health benefits. There is more research on CBD as compared to CBN. Research on CBN and its effects is very limited. It’s high time to focus on more clinical trials and human studies to unveil the true potential of both cannabinoids. People who want to use these cannabinoids should consult their doctor or health care practitioners to get better advice.