Epilepsy is a very common neurological disorder that affects the brain and its activity. This condition usually causes seizures which produce electric shock and affect brain activity. There are different medicines and treatments available in the market according to the severity of the condition. People also like to use alternative medicines to treat or manage this condition.
Cannabis is one that alternative that people have been using for ages. It has been a restricted substance in the USA, but nowadays, the law has been changed. In the USA now, you can take marijuana or its products but only for medical purposes.
CBD Oil And Epilepsy
CBD Oil (Epidolex) is an FDA-approved medicine to treat epilepsy syndromes.CBD is a chemical compound present in cannabis plants. CBD is a non-intoxicating compound and doesn’t make the users high. CBD products with less than 0.3 percent THC is legal but only for medical purposes can manufacture exceed the limit.
Markets have been overwhelmed by CBD and its derivatives. CBD oil is also in great demand due to its potential health benefits, especially in treating certain Seizures. CBD oils come in different varieties and strengths. Usually, CBD oil is mixed with carrier oil, hemp seed oil, or any other ingestible oil. Usually, olive oil, coconut oils are used as carrier oils.
CBD tinctures are also available in different strengths. CBD oil labels tell us about other ingestible oils and components such as Terpenes present in the oil. Moreover, it is full-spectrum or broad-spectrum. Some manufacturers claim that CBD works best in the presence of other compounds. In short, CBD oil’s quality also depends upon the ingredients. Many pharma companies are making CBD oils with different strengths, especially to treat epilepsy and seizures but it is necessary to seek advice from a doctor.
How Does CBD Oil Work for Seizures?
The endocannabinoid system helps to regulate body functions such as sleep, immunity, appetite, etc. According to research, CBD can amend these functions by interacting with neuroreceptors in your endocannabinoid system. CBD oil is an important component of Epidolex. Epidolex Is FDA approved drug to treat different types of epilepsy and seizures. Actually still, research continues to know the exact mechanism of CBD to treat seizures.
CBD Oil for Seizures In Adults
Many research evidence proves the effectiveness of CBD oil for treating Seizures In Adults. Several patients share positive experiences and improvements in their condition. They also share it as a relaxing and calming experience. Epidolex is effective in treating Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. According to a study, Epidolex shows effectiveness for treating seizures in patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. This study is based on 14-week clinical trials.
- According to research, CBD may enhance the effect of the medication clobazam. Clobazam is a medicine used to treat epilepsy. According to this study, if Clobazam and CBD are combined, the results are more fruitful.
- According to one more study, CBD also augments the effects of some antiepileptic drugs. CBD is a combined form with other antiepileptic drugs to reduce seizures.
- One more study examined the effect of CBD on fifty-five patients having different epilepsy syndromes. After 12 weeks, an average of 59.4 seizures per month dropped to the average of 22.5 seizures per month. This study continued until 48 weeks, and the improved rate persisted. This study shows the efficacy of CBD in managing seizures.
- Epidolex is effective in treating Dravet syndrome. Dravet syndrome. It Is a rare form of epilepsy. According to research, participants who took Epidolex experienced a significant drop in seizure frequency.
- Tuberous sclerosis complex is a genetic disorder. Patients with this disorder have noncancerous tumors in the full body, including the brain. These tumors in the brain cause seizures. According to a study, researchers took a group of 148 patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Patients were treated with twenty-five milligram/kg and fifty mg/kg of Epidolex per day. Their results were compared with a placebo.
- There was a 48 percent improvement in results for the Epidolex group and 24 percent for the placebo. On the basis of this research evidence, you can say that CBD Oil for Seizures can improve the conditions in adults. But still, there are some studies that claim that cannabis products rich in CBD are more effective in reducing seizure frequency. More research and clinical trial and comparison studies can help to explore the true potential of CBD.
CBD Oil for Seizures In Adults; Is It Safe And Effective?
Almost CBD oil for treating seizures is safe. Patients show improvement in their condition, but there is another side of the picture. In some patients, intake of CBD oil can worsen the conditions. Patents start to experience more seizures. It is also very important to take medical advice before using CBD oil for Seizures in Adults.
A doctor can suggest the right dosage according to the severity of the condition. Without any prior knowledge and medical advice, don’t use CBD oil for Seizures because it can worsen the condition. With the help and guidance of a doctor, you can monitor seizures frequency and determine whether CBD oil is your cup of tea or not.
Moreover, CBD oil can negatively interact with other antiepileptic drugs and make a patient’s situation worst. Your doctor can examine and adjust the dosage of CBD oil. Moreover, your doctor can guide you in a better way on which antiepileptic drug should continue or not with CBD Oil. Overall, CBD and its products, including CBD Oil, are safe to use.
Wrapping Up The Things
Undoubtedly CBD oil is helpful in managing epilepsy and Seizures frequency, but it has side effects too. CBD and other antiepileptic drugs can increase depression and the risk of committing suicide in some patients. If you are on antiepileptic drugs and want to use CBD oil to replace traditional medications, you must consult your doctor. Last but not least, more research and clinical trial can explore the truer potential of CBD oil for Seizures in Adults.
Related: CBD Oil for Seizures: Is Cannabis Oil Good for Seizures?