As we learned in our blog about the Human Endocannabinoid System, we have cannabinoid receptors, CB1 and CB2, located throughout our bodies, including our skin. When you apply CBD cream on your skin, these receptors allow the oil to penetrate directly where applied. Unlike ingesting or inhaling CBD which will allow the cannabinoid to enter the bloodstream, topicals give you better control over where exactly you want to reap the CBD benefits.
CBD topicals are proving to be helpful not only for superficial skin conditions but may also provide support for joint inflammation and skin symptoms derived from more serious diseases. A recent study posted by NCBI states that “transdermal CBD gel significantly reduced joint swelling”. Another study has shown that in patients with chronic itching derived from renal disease, topical application of a cream with cannabinoids applied twice daily for 3 weeks completely eliminated the itch in 8 of 21 patients.
We know it’s not easy to find a trusted source for affordable and organic CBD topical products, so why not make it yourself at home?
Here Is Our Recipe for Homemade CBD-Infused Salve
- 8 oz Coconut Oil
- 1 oz Beeswax (may need more for salve depending on your consistency preference)
- 180 drops (3 full droppers) Procana Ultra™ CBD Oil *Each drop of Procana Ultra™ has approximately 2.5 mg of CBD isolate
- Optional: 20-30 drops Essential Oils; Peppermint (for lotion) or Lavender & Rosemary (for salve)
- Melt coconut oil on low heat using a double boiler (if you don’t have a double boiler, use a metal or glass bowl inside a pot of simmering water)
- Add CBD oil
- In another double boiler, melt beeswax
- Once the beeswax is melted all the way, slowly stir into CBD mixture
- Stir in Essential Oil
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Transfer mixture to a clean, DRY, airtight container
- Store salve in the refrigerator.
Have you tried this recipe? Did it work for you? Let us know in the comments!
Also read: CBD-infused Pre-Workout Smoothie