Nowadays, people are more aware of CBD, hemp, and marijuana. Every day new research is available on cannabis and its compounds. Supermarkets, drug stores, and online stores have been flooded by CBD and other hemp products.
Almost everyone is well aware of CBD/ hemp and its potential health benefits. But some other cannabis compounds are also getting popular as more research is becoming available on them. These compounds are none other than CBG and CBN. Many people confuse CBD, CBG, and CBN with each other.
But these are different from each other. CBN and CBG are both compounds derived from cannabis plants but come from different parts of the plant. Moreover, both work differently in the human body. Let’s dive into depth to know more about CBG vs. CBN.
What Is CBG?
CBG is a relatively new compound, and that’s why people know less about it. This unique hemp compound also doesn’t have any intoxicating effects. CBG is also famous as the mother of all cannabinoids. CBG is a precursor, and when hemp plants start to mature then, another component begins to convert into three others: THCA, CBDA, and CBCA. Mature hemp plants contain less CBG.
What Is CBN?
Cannabinol CBN is not present naturally in the hemp plant. CBN forms as THC degrades in a plant due to exposure to heat, sunlight, and other factors. Younger plants don’t have enough CBN as plants get mature, the CBN Content will be higher.
What Is the Difference Between CBG and CBN?
Following are some basic differences between CBG and CBN
- The Difference in Molecular Structure
Both CBD and CBG have different chemical structures. Their carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen atoms are arranged differently in both Cannabinoid. Both Cannabinoids (CBN and CBG) make 3D models with different shapes. CBN’s structure is actually more similar to THC.
- Effects On Endocannabinoid System
CBG and CBN use different mechanisms for interacting with the endocannabinoid system. CBG is a natural blocker, while CBN has sedative properties.
- Effects On Food Consumption
Both the compounds have appetite stimulation properties as compared to CBD. CBD does not affect appetite.
- Psycho Activity
Psychoactive compounds affect a person’s mental state and behaviors. When it comes to CBG vs. CBN, then both compounds have different psychoactive properties you high. CBG does not show intoxicating effects, while CBN can show mild Psycho activity. According to research, it means that CBN can intoxicate you, but it is only 1/4th as potent as THC.
- Difference In Price
CBG and CBN both are relatively high in price as compared to the CBD and its derivatives. Actually, CBG is hard to get in large quantities from ordinary hemp plants. Nowadays, different agric and seed companies are researching to introduce CBG- rich strains. CBD is derived from hemp. Hemp cultivation is legal now, so CBD is easily available. You can get CBD and CBD-infused products so easily and relatively at an economical price. On the other hand, CBN products are not easily available, and if available, then the price is high.
The Difference in Medical Benefits
Benefits Of CBG
CBG is a newcomer in the Cannabinoid world, but some research shows its medical properties and uses. Some benefits are mentioned under.
- CBG shows anti-bacterial properties and has positive effects on anti-biotic resistant bacterias.CBG show promising properties in fighting against the bacterial agents that have built defenses against traditional medicines.
- According to research CBG also show antidepressant properties and reduce anxiety level.
- According to some experts, CBG has remarkable properties to treat glaucoma. You can say that CBG has a bright future in treating glaucoma.
- According to a study, CBG can treat Colitis and some other inflammatory issues too.
- Nowadays, CBG is the main ingredient of many cosmetic and skin products. It is greatly helpful in treating eczema and other skin issues.
- CBG also has cancer-fighting properties. According to a study, CBG can seize the tumor growth and really help stop the progression of cancer in the breast and colon. CBG is also helpful in bearing chemotherapy.
Benefits of CBN
- CBN is famous for managing sleep issues, insomnia, and anxiety disorders. It acts as a sedative. According to a survey, five mg of CBN has similar effects to any anti-insomnia medicine.
- Its chemical analysis tells us that it also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- According to studies effectiveness of CBN increased when combined with CBD. It relaxes the muscles and significantly decreases levels of pain. One more piece of research evidence supports the idea of a CBN as a potential pain killer.
- According to one study, CBN has potential benefits for appetite stimulation.
- According to another study, CBN has the ability to reverse bone loss due to osteoporosis. This also suggests that CBN can be used in the future to heal fractures caused by aging and osteoporosis. There is a need for more clinical studies and trials to explore the true potential of CBN.
CBG VS CBN; Legal Status of Both Compounds
Currently, both CBG and CBN are not on the list of scheduled controlled substances in the United States. But the legal status of CBN is doubted in many states due to its similarity with THC. All compounds and their derivatives that have more than 0.3 percent THC are illegal. Moreover, every state has different laws regarding cannabinoids and restricted substances.
Wrapping The Things
I hope now you have a better understanding of how both compounds are similar or different from each other. If you are new to Cannabinoids and want to use them to manage any health condition, then you must ask your doctor. A doctor can prescribe you an exact dosage according to your need and health conditions.
Undoubtedly both CBN and CBG have exceptional medicinal properties. Moreover, Cannabinoids’ effects are enhanced when they’re combined, so there is a need for more research on the combined effects of CBD and CBN. More clinical studies, trials, and research evidence can prove their effectiveness in combined form.
Related: CBD vs THC – Know the Difference