Chronic pains are hard to relieve, but when it comes to neuropathy and doctor-prescribed traditional medicines, they might fail to provide complete relief from pain. Some people might consider turning to alternative remedies, such as CBD and its derivatives. Neuropathic pain is an excruciating condition that affects the nervous system, and its severity varies from individual to individual. Symptoms may include burning, stinging, and unbearable pain throughout the body. Sometimes this pain is isolated or begins in the extremities. Initially, it might be mild and bearable but with time, the symptoms can intensify. Certain health issues such as diabetes, nutrient deficiencies, or other issues may increase your risk of nerve pain.
A person with neuropathy has damaged nerves, and traditionally, a doctor gives them different pain killers to get some temporary relief. If neuropathy is due to some treatable health condition then doctors usually try to treat the condition and lean towards pain management. Initially, doctors prescribe different painkillers depending on the severity of neuropathic pain. In the long run, people can build a resistance to the active ingredients of these medicines, and this causes efficacy to lessen in their pain management. People suffering from chronic pains may look for some unusual ways and alternative medicines to treat neuropathic pain.
CBD and its products are a good option for chronic pain management. Studies and clinical trials have already highlighted the versatility of CBD in mitigating pain signals, but can it help with neuropathic pain? That is the big question.
CBD and Neuropathic Pain
All humans have an endocannabinoid system, and CBD affects this endocannabinoid system. This endocannabinoid system controls many body functions like sleep, mood, appetite, metabolism, memory, and pain sensation. CBD does not bind to CB1 and CB2 receptors but affects their functions indirectly. Research on CBD and its effects on neuropathic pain is still in infancy. You don’t find many clinical trials, studies, and investigations regarding CBD and its role in treating nerve damage. The following is some research evidence supporting that CBD has great potential in treating neuropathic pain, but there is a need for more human-focused research and clinical trials.
- This small study supports that CBD can help to assist in managing neuropathy pains. Twenty-nine people participated in this study. These people were suffering from neuropathic pain and received CBD oil to manage the pain versus a placebo group.
- Participants who were using CBD oil shared positive feedback as they felt a reduction in pain when compared to the placebo group.
- In this study, research shows analgesic benefits of cannabis on neuropathic pain are comparable to that of gabapentin. This study also emphasizes the investigation of the long-term use of CBD and its safety, efficacy, and interactions with traditional painkillers.
- Peripheral neuropathy affects the quality of life. People always try to find other ways for pain management.
- This study shows that CBD might be helpful in peripheral neuropathy. Reportedly, there was a great reduction in intense and sharp pain. No adverse side effects were reported during this research, so you can say that CBD was well tolerated.
- This study found CBD to be effective in chronic pain relief for more advanced medical conditions.
- This study supports that cannabinoids might assist in suppressing inflammatory and neuropathic pain.
Can CBD Heal Nerve Damage?
CBD helps in neuropathic pain management, although the research on CBD and neuropathy is more limited. CBD has relatively mild to no side effects when compared to traditional pain killers. So using CBD to help ease neuropathic pain is a ray of hope for many patients. Moreover, many research pieces focus on the synergy of different cannabinoids in managing neuropathic pain.
You may find CBD oils and various CBD products with claims that they can heal nerve damage or may provide you permanent relief from neuropathic pain. Let us tell you that all these claims aren’t backed by any scientific research and data.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Use CBD Oil for Neuropathy Pain
If you want to use CBD to manage neuropathic pain, you can use it in different ways. For example, put some drops under the tongue for sixty seconds before swallowing. CBD oil absorbs in sublingual capillaries. You can take CBD gummies, CBD softgels, and tablets according to your personal preference. Most patients combine the use of CBD oil with topical CBD products.
- How to Calculate the Right Dose for Neuropathic Pain?
Everybody is unique and reacts differently to CBD. If you want to use CBD for neuropathic pain, keep the following things in mind. Weight, age, and prior experience with CBD oil should be the first considerations while deciding CBD dosage. Moreover, our tolerance level also matters. Initially, start with a lower dose and then gradually increase the dose. You can ask your health care practitioner for further guidance.
- Is It Safe to Use CBD Oil for Neuropathy?
According to the world health organization, CBD oil and CBD products are safe to use. So you can say that CBD has a well-established safety profile. CBD may have some side effects also, such as dry mouth, dizziness, changes in appetite, and diarrhea. However, most people don’t experience any side effects.
Wrapping Up The Things
Patients with neuropathy pains share positive experiences with the use of CBD. They used CBD in different forms, such as inhaling cannabis, ingesting CBD oils, swallowing tablets, etc. However, there is no single CBD-based FDA-approved drug in the market, so the CBD products that work for chronic neuropathic pain effectively are still lacking extensive research. CBD can’t heal damaged nerves but can help in pain management. Similarly, CBD oil may help in managing pain related to neuropathy due to its anti-inflammatory properties and effects on the endocannabinoid receptors. There is a need for more research and human studies to unveil the true potential of CBD for managing or treating neuropathy pain. It is also important to explore the synergy of different cannabinoids in neuropathic pain management.