Everybody knows about CBD oil’s health and therapeutic benefits, but not everyone knows about the possible side effects. According to the WHO (World Health Organization), CBD is safe to use and well-tolerated in humans. Some rarely reported side effects include cramps, nausea, dry mouth, and on some rare occasions, allergies. Constipation is painful for many of us, and there could be several reasons for it, such as a sedentary lifestyle, sleep deprivation, tension, junk food and insufficient water intake. Sometimes underlying health issues can cause constipation. Let’s investigate a little further to understand whether CBD might cause constipation.
CBD and Constipation
CBD is a non-psychoactive compound present in the cannabis plant. Legal CBD oil is extracted from the hemp plant and mixed with different carrier oils. Hemp is a legal cannabis plant that contains the highest level of CBD and a low level of THC. THC is a psychoactive compound known for its head-high properties.
It is very unlikely that CBD oil or any CBD product will cause constipation. In general, CBD is known to assist with bowel movements as expressed by different research findings and studies. Still, CBD oils and their effects on the digestive tract and gut health are under ongoing research.
CBD oil is known to help regulate our body. CBD has relaxing and calming effects on the endocannabinoid system, which play an important role in digestive actions. CBD oil has many other properties which may also contribute to increased and/or more regular bowel movements. Many people use CBD oil to assist in relieving constipation. Similarly, A study conducted on rats showed that “hemp seed soft capsules made from hemp oil relieve constipation.” Many people shared positive experiences with CBD oil. According to the users, regular intake of CBD oil helped them to get relief from constipation.
How to Choose the Best CBD Oil for Constipation?
Choosing the right CBD oil for constipation is dependent upon many factors and on varying severities. The following are some tips that will help you to choose the right CBD oil for constipation.
- First of all, do thorough research on both the company of your choice and their CBD oil. You can start the process by making a list of companies and then shortlist them according to your preference.
- Read the label carefully to know more about the product. Labels will assure you about the other ingredients, expiration, and claims.
- Look for third-party testing. Third-party testing gives unbiased reviews on products. You may get a deeper understanding regarding any other ingredients and product claims. Third-party testing also tests the product for heavy metals and contaminants.
- Check the extraction method of CBD oil and go for the brands which are transparent regarding their products.
- You can also check the customer reviews and feedback regarding product quality and claims.
- The appropriate CBD oil for constipation will not only ease the symptoms but might also tackle the underlying causes due to its healing properties. CBD oil-based edibles travel to your gut to reduce inflammation that can affect your digestive system. On the other hand the use of CBD oil sublingual helps you by affecting the endocannabinoid system and digestive tract.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What Is the Right Dose of CBD Oil for Constipation?
Everybody is different, and the severity of constipation also varies from person to person. CBD oil dosage also depends upon body weight and tolerance level. Initially, you can start with a low dose and gradually increase until you achieve the desired results. Starting with a low dose is a great idea to avoid the side effects. Furthermore, observe for any changes. In case of any side effects, discontinue the use of CBD oil and consult your doctor for advice.
Q. How to Take CBD Oil for Constipation?
You can use CBD oil sublingual. This is the fastest way to calm your nerves and get the desired result. You have to put a few drops of oil under your tongue. In this way CBD oil gets into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes found underneath the tongue.
Another way is to add a few drops of CBD oil or tincture to your food or beverage. CBD oil will directly reach your digestive system. CBD oil-based suppositories may also be effective for constipation relief. These suppositories have laxatives along with CBD oil.
Wrapping up the Things
It is unlikely that CBD will cause constipation. Moreoften, it is helpful in regulating bowel movements and relieving constipation. Some people may have constipation after using the CBD product, but this is due to the additional ingredients and carrier oils used in the product. Constipation can be a serious health issue if prolonged and not treated properly. So if you believe that CBD might be causing constipation, stop taking it immediately. Consult your doctor or health care practitioner so they may guide you best in this matter.