You may hear about both Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica but don’t know exactly how both are different or similar. Sativa strains are high in THC while Indica is CBD rich is the most common and popular opinion while experts are on the other side of the story.
They say that some other factors are also involved in deciding the effects of each cannabis strain. Sometimes plant of the same species does not produce the same results. Actually, it’s the plant’s chemical composition responsible for the varying effects. This chemical composition can vary due to different growing conditions and some other factors. Chemical composition means the ratio of cannabinoids and Terpenes. Let’s dive into the depth to know more about these cannabis species.
- Sativa plants are skinny with thin fan leaves. Usually, leaves are light green. Plants are tall and sometimes 10 to 12 meters high.
- This plant is native to Africa, Central America, and some parts of Southeast Asia, This plant-like hot and dry climate takes more time to mature than other cannabis species. Countries with long sunny days are best to grow this species.
- Cannabis Sativa often has less content of CBD and is rich in THC. THC is a compound that is notorious for its intoxicating effects.
- Cannabis Sativa is getting popularity due to its medicinal uses. It can make the users high. Sometimes it effects are energizing and help to relieve anxiety. People like to use it to banish depression and to increase focus. If you use Sativa-dominant strains, you may feel productive and creative; it does not make you lazy and sleepy at all.
- Because of its stimulating and power-boosting effects, you can use Sativa in the daytime to increase productivity and focus.
- Cannabis indica is native to Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, and Turkey. These plants grow
- Well in harsh, dry, and turbulent climates.
- Cannabis Indica plants are short, stout, and bushy. Leaves are short and broad and have a chunky appearance. They grow faster than native species. Moreover, these plants produce more buds.
- Unusually Cannabis Indica have higher levels of CBD as compared to THC. But some strains also have higher THC content.
- Cannabis Indica has quite different effects as compared to Sativa. Its effects are intensely relaxing and help to reduce nausea. It also has pain-relieving properties. Its calming effects are due to -dominant higher levels of the Terpenes named Myrcene. These Terpenes have soothing effects on nerves. It also affects the appetite and stimulates hunger.
- People like to use it at night due to its deeply relaxing and calming effects.
How To Choose Between Cannabis Sativa and Indica?
Both are used for several medicinal and recreational purposes. Cannabis sativa is famous for its “head high,” effects. On the other hand, Cannabis Indica is typically associated with full-body effects, such as deep relaxation, soothing nerves, and reducing insomnia. Now the question is how to choose the best strain? To choose the best strain, you have to look beyond the Indica and Sativa. You have to dive into the depth to know their chemical composition. You have to consider the Cannabinoid and Terpenes content. Moreover, it depends upon your need too. What kind of effects do you want to attain.
For example, recreational users want to feel invigorating effects, so that they will go for THC high strains. On the other hand, people who don’t want to get high will go for CBD enriched strains due to their therapeutic effects.
There is another balanced approach that supports the hybrid species. Because CBD and THC, when working in synergy, they produce more prolific results. So there are also cannabis strains available that provide you an enjoyable experience with less potential of side effects. Such strain has an equal proportion of THC and CBD.
Moreover, some other factors can help you determine a suitable blend of THC and CBD. These factors include your tolerance level, use method, and age or health condition.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Following are some basic questions regarding both the species to clarify things.
- Are Hemp and Cannabis The Same?
Nowadays, “hemp” means the industrial, non-intoxicating varieties harvested primarily for fiber, seeds, and CBD. However, this was named Cannabis sativa in the beginning. So you can say that hemp is another name for Sativa. Moreover, now several varieties of industrial hemp are available.
- Which Cannabis Strain (Sativa or Indica) Is More Effective?
Both have different effects due to differences in their chemical composition. You can’t say any specific species better because both affect the system differently. Each species has a different percentage of cannabinoids and Terpenes, so their effects vary
- What Are Cannabinoids and Terpenes in Cannabis Indica and Sativa?
Both species can have different cannabinoids but THC, CBD CBN, and CBG are the most common and familiar cannabinoids. On the other hand, Terpenes are aromatic compounds commonly produced by plants and fruit. Usually, Terpenes are present in oranges, vanilla, and cannabis strains.
- What Are the Uses of Sativa?
- What Are the Uses of Indica?
It has calming properties, so it helps to relax the nerves and calm the pain. It also helps to reduce nausea. People like to use it at night due to its calming effects.
- Does Cannabis Indica Effect on The Eyes?
Sometimes your eyes may get red, or sometimes they may not get red. There is no guarantee whether it will affect your eyes or not?
Both cannabis species have equal importance but produce different effects. It’s high time to explore the true potential of both the species through rigorous research work and studies. There is also a need to introduce some more balanced hybrid species so CBD and THC can work in synergy.
Read also: Does Cannabis help with Weight Management?